Sunday 15 July 2012

I got my hair did... Rasta Braids!


So I have always believed that white girls do not look good in braids. In my opinion it was a hairstyle strictly reserved for black people. But I think my opinion has changed after my own experience having my hair braided and wearing the style for almost a week at this time. So first, why did I choose to braid my hair? I had mentioned in the office that I was thinking of braiding my hair or getting a weave. They thought it was a great idea. My office mates and friends didn’t know that in the United States that braids and weaves are often only worn by black people. I don’t really know why it has been this way, but I have a feeling it has a lot to do with the different types of hair people of different races have. So I visited the salon to get my nails done and talking to the stylists they insisted I come and get my hair braided. After talking to my friends a bit I decided I would get my hair braided. 
Before picture

The day I went to get my hair did I was warned it was going to take a while so I had a big breakfast. I had already picked out the color of my extra hair the day before when I had gone in to make my appointment. It is a dark maroon red. The stylist washed and dried my hair… I was ready to go. The stylists first have to weave the hair. The plastic hair comes in a six foot long bunch. They cut it into three pieces and then spend a few minutes on each piece mixing it in a way to make the weave. I don’t really know how to explain it well, so you’ll have to experience it on your own. 

When they start the braiding they start on the nape of the neck. They tie a piece of the weave around the roots of the hair. This is the painful part....for the next four hours. They braid it down to the end. At one time I had four women braiding my hair at once. At the top of the head they want the base of the braids to be really tight so I was slowly crunching down in my chair gritting my teeth. When they finish braiding they soak the ends in warm water and cut them so they are even. I felt like my face was pulled tight when I got done.


My head was sore the next day and I felt top heavy for a few days. It has taken a bit to get used to them, but I am now having quite a bit of fun changing how I style my braids. I get many compliments too…so I guess white girls can wear braids! 



No comments:

Post a Comment