Tuesday 15 May 2012

First day in the field


Today was the first day in the field. I met my guide and translator. Her name is Anna (all people mentioned have been given different names). She is a very nice lady. The same age as me but married with an adorable son. We went with the Tro tro to the neighborhood where I will be completing my research Ashongman Estates. This was my first time in a Tro Tro. Tro Tros are old, old vans that have been retrofitted to fit about fifteen people. They are so much more affordable than taxis. It can get a little cramped but it is worth the saving. One important thing is to watch so that one does not cut or scrape themselves on the rusty parts of the van. That isn’t very hard if one pays attention but I think everyone knows how absent minded I can be.
The neighborhood I will be performing my research is a fast growing upper middleclass neighborhood with mostly single family homes from what I saw yesterday. Tomorrow I am going to adventure on my own and figure out exactly what the neighborhood is like. Today is to study the google maps and try to figure out how I should select where I will perform household interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment