Wednesday 16 May 2012

On my own in Ashongman Estates

Today I went into the field on my own for the first time. It went wonderfully. The people in the neighborhood were very friendly. I have made two friends that live close to the bus stop. They answered a bunch of my questions and helped me get my orientation using the maps I made up yesterday from Google maps. I walked around an area that I have decided to use as cluster 1.
Currently I am creating clusters to choose houses from to interview about their shopping habits and consumption trends. I am also looking for in home or street food distribution locations. There are families who sell produce from a little shop on the bottom floor of their homes or have a shed that they sell staples and processed foods out of. It is to early for me to start GPSing these places by taking photos. I must first earn the trust of the community. So far they have been very helpful and friendly. They almost all smiled and greeted me. A few asked me what I was doing and I just explained I was doing research in the neighborhood so I was wondering around getting to know it a bit, but that they would be seeing me until August. This is the view of the neighborhood and greater Accra from the top of a huge hill I walked up. Man was I tired.

On my way home it was quite interesting. I jumped in a Tro-Tro and they took me to the circle in Atomic Junction. I knew that it was only half way to my other transfer point but I thought I got in a Tro-tro that was going the right way, but I soon found out I wasn't going the way I did before. After reaching the next stop I got on another Tro-tro and found my way safely back to the University. On the other side, but about the same distance as the other stop. Now I know another way at least. One major lesson learned today was that I need to get out of the field earlier if I don't want the sun to beat me down. When I was walking back from the Tro-tro at 12:30 it was unbearable. My goal next time is to make sure to get on the Tro-tro around eleven then I should be back a bit before noon if I'm lucky.
Now, I know there was a controversial time magazine cover with a woman breast feeding her three year old son, which I don't have an opinion on, but I just thought I should mention that the woman next to me in the Tro-tro had no fear pulling her breast out to feed her daughter. The women here carry their babies on their backs all the time even while working. I will take a picture so you can understand what I mean. Also, I have observed them breast feed when the baby is hungry or it is convenient for them, which in the case today sitting in the Tro-tro. I believe this is correct and it didn't bother me one bit. Babies need to eat and women need to continue on with life. I'm assuming they don't have the luxury to put everything aside to pump or breast feed in private. They are to busy trying to work or live life to let a baby stop them. I just thought it was an interesting cultural difference that while we provide lactation rooms that let women continue to breast feed or at least pump and work, here it is seen as part of life that a woman is to care for her child and that often means carrying them with them all the time even if they are working or going to school. At least for the beginning of the life of the baby when they need to be fed more often.      

No comments:

Post a Comment