Monday 11 June 2012

Dorm living


I was very upset about this when it happened, because coming from the United States where I believe that discrimination on most aspects (not enough personally) has been made illegal. I am experiencing it full blown here. So I have been in a battle with the university hall where I am staying. While my roommate is Ghanaian she is paying 100 us dollars for a month, and I am required to pay 13 dollars a day, equivalent to 400 dollars a month for obviously the exact same situation. They see nothing wrong with this. I was so upset, I went into the office and explained to them how unfair this was, but the fact that I had no problem paying twice as much, but four times as much, really???? So now I’m the angry white girl.
On top of all of this, they wanted us to move to a different hall. I spent a ridiculous amount of time several days to find a new room that was clean. I explained to them that we were perfectly happy where we were.  Why should we have to move? Most of the students were gone anyway. In the end they gave us one night to move. The room they were supposed to prepare for us was filthy, broken toilet seat and all. My roommate searched for almost two hours to find a room that was better, but still not very clean and in addition a wonderful infestation of ants that live in my bunk bed posts. I haven’t decided what I’m going to do about my unwanted roommates but I’m not going to ask the office because I know they are not helpful at this point.
I’m hoping this next month to bargain them down to maybe 300 dollars, but if not I don’t have many other options. I do have security, water, and electricity the majority of the time. There are certain battles to be fought and I have a feeling this is a losing one.

No comments:

Post a Comment