Friday 8 June 2012

Gay


So I have had the opportunity to talk to quite a few young Ghanaians around my age about the topic of gay marriage but also just about the acceptance of homosexuality. While in the US homosexuality has been controversial in some circles, there has been a lot of progress in the past few decades and homosexuality has become accepted by the majority of the population. In the latest polls support of gay marriage is about fifty- fifty. With the recent announcement that President Obama supports the legalization of gay marriage this has become a hot topic and something that I have found myself explaining as to why I support this stance. I always say having friends and colleagues throughout my life that have been either raised by gay parents, are gay themselves, or as a gay couple have chosen to have children I myself cannot comprehend how they should be treated any different than any other person. The majority of these people I met and got to know before I even knew anything about their family situation or sexuality. I treated them as people as everyone should be no matter their sex, race, sexuality, ethnicity, nationality or whatever it may be that some people want to make differences over. The golden rule
The majority of people I have met here struggle with the idea that it is ok for President Obama to support the legalization of gay marriage or even the acceptance that people are gay. I have a feeling it goes along with religious beliefs. For me though I struggle with the religious argument here because it is by my understanding widely accepted that cheating is not out of the ordinary. Is it not a commandment that one should not commit adultery? An office mate told me today that it isn’t just that homosexuality is wrong but that it is the responsibility of people around them to help them and make them understand that homosexuality is wrong. Meaning that if the people around homosexuals do not help them, it will also affect how god will judge them when it comes to the judgment.  I don’t and can’t understand this viewpoint. I raised the aspect that adultery is widely accepted here, does that not affect everyone when it comes to judgment day? I know this is not a viewpoint that will change in one discussion or in one day or even in one decade, but I hope that someday that these viewpoints no longer exist, or at least do not push countries or cultures to commit heinous crimes against homosexuals. I’m trying to do a small part in chipping away at this intolerance by sharing my experiences, friendships and belief in human rights.

1 comment:

  1. Ghana and gay people... Like you, I have a lot of gay friends and since I'm from Holland, I am very used to live in a " gay friendly environment" . I vote for the political party that invented gay-marrriage, live in the city that first official registered a lesbian couple in 1991.

    And although I am straight, I was a couple of years ago on local television, on the radio and in the newspaper because of a gay-pride in our city. I joined the activities as a sound engineer, but for some reason the journalist made me a symbol of the gay-community.

    In Ghana, I dares two ask two people what they though about gay-marriage. One of them couldn't imagine he/she would marry some one from the same gender, but still felt that people should have the right to marry who ever they love. The other one told me that he/she knew about our European opinions, but he told me that " its not how we do it in Ghana" .
    I don't know if there will be gay-marrige in the US because Obama his opinion. But I think, whatever the outcome will be, he did something important for Ghanian gays. Obama is very, very popular in Ghana. By sharing his opinion on gay-marriage, it at least started the conversation in Ghana on the issue , the first step on a long, long way to where it should be...

    ReplyDelete