Sunday 17 June 2012

Transit "Mate bus stop..."


There are many ways to get around. My preferred method is walking, but when I have to travel a bit further to do my research, visit the mall or see other parts of Accra there are three prominent ways of travel. I use a bit of all of these and it is always an adventure. I must admit I have jumped on Tro-tros not really knowing where they are going, but figuring if I don’t get to the right place, I’ll know at least one more place. Since I’m never in a hurry and I can’t get all to lost I just enjoy the experience. It is like getting lost in Venice, I’m only sitting in a Tro-tro packed like sardines wondering where I may end up and how long this adventure will take to get me home.
Taxi
Taxi is the quickest, easiest and most expensive. If you are a foreigner the taxi drivers will try to rip you off. Whatever they offer you split it in at least two to start your bargaining. Then you should meet somewhere in the middle, but don’t be scared to ask a Ghanaian the taxi prices and tell the driver that you’ve been around a bit you know better. If you still feel it is too high, walk away and try to hail another taxi. You can also travel in taxis with strangers. At taxi rounds there are cars that regularly travel to different locations. The taxi will have a sign on it saying where they go. Once the taxi is full it will leave. This time no need to bargain because the price is preset. Since I’m a penny pincher, I only try to use a taxi when Tro-tros no longer run, or if it is raining.
Public bus
The busses are large and orange. The usually have a sign in the front window showing their final destination. There is always a person selling tickets on the bus. If you want the bus to stop make sure to press the stop button or tell the ticket seller. They are often crowded and traders travelling to sell their goods will set them in the aisles. Try to be respectful of people’s items. This is an affordable way to get around, but don’t expect to get anywhere quick. I think the bus only runs from six in the morning to six in the evening, but don’t quote me. I know there isn’t really a schedule, you just need to sit and wait.
Tro-tro
This is the most foreign mode of travel to westerners. Tro-tros are large vans that have been gutted and refitted with as many possible bench seats as possible. They are licensed by the government, so it is a legal operation. They run on specific routes. There is the driver and the tro-tro mate who collects the money, opens and closes the large sliding door, stops the tro-tro when you ask and calls and signals out the window the final destination. If you are not sure where they stop on the way from one place to the next, ask if they stop at your destination, they are in a hurry so be quick. The price is usually the same maybe give or take ten pesewas depending on the Tro-tro. Tell the mate your destination and they will give you your change before you exit, it may not be right away so be patient. There are specific destinations and transfer points. You will learn these through experience. If you do not like your fellow human beings, tro-tro is not for you. It is crowded and often very warm. The ride can also be quite bumpy due to the conditions of the roads. Most tro-tro drivers attempt to avoid the pot holes, but this isn’t always possible, some pot holes are the size of small cars, or come in groups that cover the road. But if you want to save quite a bit of money and get somewhere it is an excellent option.

No comments:

Post a Comment